Do you have a nutrition question? Want to discuss it with an expert?
Our free Ask a Dietitian group appointments are led by a registered dietitian who can give you healthy eating tips.
Get professional advice from a qualified expert while learning from others who have similar health questions.
Register online for one of three group appointments designed for patients who need help with:
- Diabetes or pre-diabetes
- Weight, or
- High blood pressure or cholesterol
Ask a Dietitian group appointments can help answer questions such as:
- How do I reduce my salt intake?
- I have diabetes. Should I eat fruit?
- How can I lose weight?
- What should I look for on food labels?
Group appointments give you access to proven health advice from a registered dietitian. They also offer the chance to learn with others in a supportive and confidential environment. Research shows adults learn best from their peers’ experiences. However, in these groups you can share as much or as little as you wish. Other benefits of Ask a Dietitian group appointments include:
- A flexible appointment schedule
- The opportunity to ask questions you would like to be answered
- Access to tried and tested tools and resources
- The chance to learn about other things you may need
“I found it very intriguing to hear what other people asked, and what I was able to learn from their questions. They asked things that I had never even thought of. It was a very rewarding experience.” ~ Cheryl Aitkens, three-time Ask a Dietitian participant
Which group is right for me?
- Diabetes or pre-diabetes: For patients with impaired fasting glucose, impaired glucose tolerance, Type 2 diabetes, diabetes, high blood sugars or borderline diabetes.
- Weight management: For patients who are overweight or looking to lose weight.
- High blood pressure or cholesterol: For patients with high blood pressure or cholesterol, dyslipidemia, hypertension, high triglycerides, a history of heart attack/stroke/myocardial infarction (MI) or hyperlipidemia.
Note: Group appointments are not suitable for patients with gestational or Type 1 diabetes, low weight or eating disorders, unintentional weight loss, post-bariatric (weight loss) surgery, or congestive heart failure. Please talk to your doctor if you need help with these conditions.
Ask a Dietitian group appointments are open to:
- Adults aged 18 or over
Patients can ask to bring a support person to appointments (subject to space and enrollment numbers). Children are not permitted to attend.
Do you need to find a doctor?
Morning and evening group appointments are available at the following locations:
- Bowness Community Association, 7904 43 Avenue NW (map)
- Crowfoot Primary Care Centre, 60 Crowfoot Crescent NW (map)
- Calgary Foothills PCN main office, 3rd floor, 1701 Centre Street NW (map)
- Riley Park Primary Care Centre, 1402 8 Avenue NW (map)
- Vivo for Healthier Generations, 11950 Country Village Link NE (map)
- Wild Rose United Church: 1317 1 Street NW (map)
If you are planning to attend an Ask a Dietitian appointment, please download and fill out the 3-Day Food and Activity Journal. Don’t forget to print it and bring it with you to your first appointment.