Prescription to Get Active is an actual prescription a family doctor can give patients to help them increase their physical activity levels and improve overall health. Ask your family doctor if this program is right for you!
The prescription can be redeemed at partner recreation centres for a free trial pass. Visit www.PrescriptionToGetActive.com to check out participating recreation centres, locations and offers.
The Prescription To Get Active program was launched in Calgary in April 2015. It is a partnership between doctors, local governments and recreation providers.
Ask your doctor if you would like more information.
Why Get Active?
Being physically active:
- Improves health and well-being
- Reduces stress
- Strengthens heart and lungs
- Helps you maintain a healthy weight
- Boosts mental health
- Increases your energy levels
Inactivity can lead to premature death and chronic disease. For these reasons, doctors encourage patients to include more physical activity in their everyday life.
Doctors recommend a minimum of 30 minutes of moderate physical activity for adults each day or 60 minutes for children.
Physical activity tips for adults:
Schedule activity into your day:
Park further from your destination, take the stairs, walk to a co-worker’s desk
- Shovel snow, dig in the garden, explore your neighbourhood
- Go for a walk with family or a friend after dinner each night
- Join a recreation centre. Take classes like yoga, dance or swimming
Physical activity tips for kids:
Try a variety of activities with your children:
- Walk, bike, rollerblade or skateboard to school
- Go to the park, go swimming, skating or tobogganing
- Register in sport programs each season
- Try something new!