As the leaves fall and the temperature continues to drop, flu season is almost upon us.
Starting Monday, October 23, all Albertans aged six months and older will be able to do their part to protect themselves and their families from influenza.
Ask your family doctor if your clinic is offering immunizations this winter. Pharmacies and some Alberta Health Services clinics are also offering this service on a drop-in basis.
Who should get the vaccine?
Everyone aged six months and older should have the influenza vaccine. It is free if you live, work or go to school in Alberta. Everyone is at risk of influenza, and anyone can get very sick and develop complications. However, the risk is highest if you have some types of health problems (for example, heart/lung conditions, diabetes, weak immune system, morbid obesity/very overweight), live in a care facility (for example, a nursing home), are 65 years or older, are a child under five years old, are pregnant or are Indigenous.
How many shots do I need?
Children under nine who are getting an influenza vaccine will need two shots, given at least four weeks apart. For everyone else, only one dose is needed.
Where can I get my flu shot?
- Start by talking to your family doctor or calling your doctor’s clinic. Search our clinic directory
- If you don’t have a family doctor, visit calgaryareadocs.com to find one!
- Some Calgary Foothills PCN clinics are offering influenza immunization to other patients. See below for information about these clinics:
- Bowmont Travel Clinic (call 403-247-0787 for more information). The clinic is located at 6535 Bowness Road NW
- Country Hills Medicentres Walk in and Family Practice (call 403-241-8848). The clinic is located at #220, 5149 Country Hills Blvd. NW
- Foothills Medical Clinic (call 403-282-2804). The clinic is located at 170, 1620 – 29 Street NW
- MCI The Doctor’s Office, Beddington Town Centre (call 403-275-4611). The clinic is located at 207, 8120 Beddington Blvd. NW
- Thorncliffe Medical Centre (call 403-295-7666). The clinic is located at 5618 4 Street NW
- TruCare Medical Center (call 587-315-6838). The clinic is located at 1503 19 Street NW (patients can also email [email protected])
- Review a list of Alberta Health Services Clinics offering immunization
- You can also call your local pharmacy to ask if they are offering this service
More information, tips
Click here to visit the AHS influenza immunization website.